|See also: Guidelines, administrators|
This page is an official policy on Outward Wiki.
This policy is considered a standard to be followed by all users.
- Always upload images for display to the site. That way we don't steal bandwidth from others, and it makes the image links more reliable.
- However, Outward Wiki is not an image hosting service. Any images uploaded must be for use on Outward Wiki. See Outward Wiki:Bandwidth theft.
- Note that datamined pictures of unannounced content or exploited pictures of unfinished areas are not allowed.
- "Model viewer" images of content which is accessible in-game are okay, but high-quality in-game screenshots obtained from the live or test clients (without exploiting) are preferred. See Outward Wiki:DNP_policy.
- Make sure you're not duplicating images already on the site - the best way to tell is if your image shows up at Outward Wiki:Duplicate images.
Nearly all game icons are already in Outward Wiki! Don't upload new ones unless you're certain it's not already in here.
- See Outward Wiki:Outward Icons for a listing of all icons already in Outward Wiki.
- Use the PNG file format for icons. It allows the corners to be transparent, and doesn't mangle the colorspace like GIF does.
- Name icons in all lowercase and according to their in-game name. See Outward Wiki:Outward Icons/Icon List.
- Categorize your uploaded icons in one or more sub categories of Category:Outward Icons
Link your source/copyright information
- When uploading, select the licensing tag that best-matches where you sourced your image from. Nearly all screenshots from Outward have a specific option (like NPC, zone, mount, etc...). Unlicensed images are subject to speedy deletion.
- Please add the source of an image in the summary section when uploading, or later on by visiting the image page and choosing 'edit this page'.
- Fan art images should always be marked as such, especially when used in an article, and they should not take precedence over official artwork.
- See also: Licensing options
Model viewer screenshots
While we do not refuse images from model viewers, we generally strongly discourage them in favor of in-game screenshots. The only exceptions to this are for very generic images, such as creature type profiles and armor sets - but only if the images are very high quality and follow the rest of the image guidelines. In borderline cases it is generally left to an admin to make the final decision.
- Please note if you do decide to upload images from the model viewers it is best to make the background transparent (PNG) and ensure the result is anti-aliased (one method is to take a large image and resize it down). Alternatively, please set the background color (before taking a screenshot) to the default Outward Wiki background color.
- Pictures of unannounced content (i.e. content not released by Nine Dots Studio) are again not allowed.
- Name your image so it's relevant for the content it's showing. (example: Garrosh Hellscream.jpg)
- Try to use spaces or have the file name match its content. (example: Druid at Stormwind Park.jpg)
- Avoid naming your logo (e.g., for guilds) something like "Outward Wiki logo", "Logo for Outward Wiki", etc. Remember that the file will be hosted on Outward Wiki so to distinguish it from other files that might otherwise share that name you should reference it by your identity, not Outward Wiki's.
- Do NOT upload images using Outward's default screenshot name. (example: Outwardscreenshot 030508 223206.jpg)
- Also, if you copy an image from a database site do NOT upload those images using the number they give them. (example: 142683.jpg)
- Since Outward Wiki is in English, use English for image names (except in the case of proper nouns).
There may come a time when you no longer want an image that you have uploaded for your personal user page. If this happens, please do not just remove the image from your page to be forgotten about, help keep Outward Wiki clean of these unused images by marking the ones you abandon with