Impact Damage on a weapon, trap or skill determines how much damage is dealt to the opponent's Stability bar. The stability bar represents the players stability from 0 to 100, and impact damage is subtracted directly from this number. Note that if the player or enemy is blocking, they will have an extra 50 stability "points".
Impact Resistance as an attribute determines how much impact damage is prevented when you are struck by an enemy, as a basic percentage modifier (ie. 20 impact resistance = 20% reduced impact damage). Typically, heavier armor has more impact resistance.
- When an opponent is knocked down they will be invulnerable to impact damage, quickly regain full stability, and in some cases be knocked very far back. As such, it can be more beneficial in combat to try to keep the enemy's stability between 1 and 50% so that each attack will stagger them, interrupting any of their actions.
- If an enemy is staggered 3 times within a span of about 8 seconds, they will be knocked down regardless of their current stability (this does not apply to the player, however)
- Larger enemies often have much longer 'knock down' animations, and will be vulnerable to attacks while they get back up. This means knock-downs are more effective against them as opposed to enemies with faster animations.
- Enrage, which grants the Rage Boon, increases weapon impact damage dealt by 25%.
- Infuse Wind bestows Wind Imbue, boosting melee weapon impact damage by 50%.
- Steady Arm passively increases impact resistance by 10 when blocking.
- Master of Motion increases impact resistance by 10 when under the effects of the Discipline boon.