Depending on the player's Corruption level (from 0 to 100%), they will receive a different Effect:
- Pure (0% Corruption, no effect)
- Tainted (25% Corruption)
- Corrupted (50% Corruption)
- Defiled (75% Corruption), chance for Corruption Spirit to spawn
- Reaching 100% Corruption will:
Players can increase their Corruption level in a number of ways:
- Standing in Corrupted zones, indicated by a green smoke effect rising from the bottom of your screen. Only found in Antique Plateau
- Using Food and Potions which grant Corruption
- Using certain Blood Sigil combinations
- Sleeping in a Scourge Cocoon
- Being attacked by The Scourge, Wendigos, and other corrupted enemies
- Corruption Resistance (effect)
- Certain Equipment have Corruption Resist stats
- Metabolic Purge, a universal Speedster skill
Corruption is a prominent part of the Lore of Outward.
|“||A form of decaying negative life energy that is often released when something passes from one life to the next. The more negative emotion contained in the being's soul when it passes, the more the corruption will cling to the area where it is released, and the longer it will take to vanish.
In some cases, too large of a glut of Corruption can take on a life of its own and grow rather than decay.
|~ Aegix Drakan (Writer, Nine Dots)|
|“||The only relieving news is that the Corruption here runs deep enough that the ghosts are able to feed off it. They do not appear to be compelled to hunt for fresh life to siphon, so the Chersonese region should remain safe from ghostly hunting parties.||„|
|~ Soeran, in a letter to Cardinal Bourlamaque|
|“||Alright alright! There was a lot of blood spilled in the old fort. The victims jus' couldn't go to the afterlife. It caused a lot of Corruption to spill out, you know? I gave those victims a home here, where they can live the lives that were stolen from them. There's an ancestral altar they can tether their memories too, so they can remember who they were when they were alive.
Then, those living people out there started stringing up dying people as tribute and my ghost pals stopped feedin' on the Corruption, preferring fresh tasty dying life.
But using Corruption as food is like milking a deer. If you don't milk it often enough, it'll just build up until you have a major problem. The Corruption has burst all over the Altar now, and it's destroying the memories we've stored within.
If it's not dealt with, those ghosts will lose what little humanity they have left! Then they'll just devour everything around, including the living who've been feeding them so nicely.
|~ Myriade (during A Myriad of Bones)|