Effects and Properties
- Blocking prevents all damage to Health from melee attacks or physical projectiles.
- Gauntlets only reduce damage taken by 90%.
- Only certain skills can block magical blasts (see below).
- Blocking will increase the players maximum stability by 50%, indicated by the the small shield symbol next to the stability bar, and the bar turning orange.
- Weapons gain the same 50% bonus as shields, so blocking with even basic starting weapons can be surprisingly effective.
- Shields also grant bonus impact resistance, which will continue to apply even if the guard meter is depleted.
- When blocking an attack, you will lose Stamina equivalent to 1/8th of the impact you received from the attack. So with higher impact resistance, blocking will consume less stamina. Stamina regeneration is also greatly reduced while holding the block button.
- Magical projectiles can often be blocked with Shields, but not by blocking with other Weapons.
Magic Blocking Skills
Magic Blocking Skills can block any attack, including magical blasts.
Parrying skills will block melee attacks, and then counter with an attack in response.